Thread: Suggestion for future free agency

Suggestion for future free agency

I have no idea whether this would be easy to code or not but I think bidding is unnecessarily long. Perhaps cutting out some of the steps. Instead of 72-60-48-36-24, why not 72-36-24. Also, rather than resetting to 60, 48, 36 and 24, why not reset to the closest highest number of hours. For example, if the first counter bid is inside of 24 hours of close, reset it to 24 rather than 60. If it's between 24 and 36, reset to 36. This would eliminate the frustration of waiting 71 hours before someone adds $1 and then you have another 60 hours to wait.

That would cut out some of the frustration.

All good suggestions.

I would also like to be able to up my bid on guys I have already won the bid on, after FA is done.

That way, if I have cash left over and I can add years to my new FA contracts, I would like to be able to do that.

So my cash is not lost in the halving.

The one thing that kinda frustrates me is the sniping. Then again, this is an odd FA cycle since there's so much money in it and it's the 'truncated' version that breeds that sort of thing.

But what might be interesting is a sliding scale on what the next bid requires as a bid sits longer. So let's say you make your bid within 2 hours of the previous bid, you can bid one more dollar to get back in the lead. If it's 4 hours, it requires $2 to bid. 8 hours requires $4, 16 hours requires $8. Something like that.

Because I kinda think that's how real FA is likely to work. If a guy is sitting on an offer and you come along immediately after he receives it and offer him $50K more, he might listen. If he's sitting there with his pen and getting ready to sign a deal when you offer that $50K, he's not going to. But if you offer him $250K, that may be enough to get him to put the pen down and think about it a little while.

But ultimately you could probably do nothing and be just fine. The ordinary season long FA process doesn't have this kind of frustration in it. Guys look at the 'opened' FA class every Monday/Tuesday, spend the week monitoring and decide fairly quickly if they're gonna splurge or keep powder dry until the following weeks class.

This really is something of a one-off. I hate it because I screwed up my contract offers last year and ended up having to get McNeill back in FA and it torched my planning and FA capital (so I've been knocked out of probably 8-10 guys who's bidding skyrocketed towards in the last day), but it's a problem of my own making - shoulda read my contracts more closely instead of forgetting to put a number in for McNeill and having to re-sign him for $1 last season.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Left Nut View Post
    The one thing that kinda frustrates me is the sniping. Then again, this is an odd FA cycle since the....
    You know better, lol.

We're just along for the ride unless you know how to write code. All we can do is offer suggestions & bitch.