Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progress toward starting simulations of the 2023 Sandbox Season

When I said something, it was about u never shutting up bout ur issues seeings how ur complaints were ours back in beta.

Just be prepared. This Sim is liable to be pulled for 'updates" forcing u to start over.
    Maybe then you'd understand, not likely, lol.

Not trying to deter others. Just facts.

CDCOX-Thanks for the update. I can only speak for myself, but just getting occasional progress updates so I know what to expect regarding the timeline is all I really need.

It was a great format etc. and I had fun with it. These pricks selling the data are unbelievable. I'll understand if you can't go forward! Glad I got a few good years out of the game, and won a bowl with my first team.

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    We don’t have any resentment towards our data source. They deserve financial compensation for the services they provide and for several years we were willing to pay it. However, it has become apparent that the user base isn’t growing fast enough to continue to invest $ at the same rate as we were. Since we started, machine learning has advanced by leaps and bounds, so we are exploring doing more with data that is publicly available. We fully intend to keep the game going. I just need some time to develop the new simulation engine. I will post updates in this thread.
    Lead Developer of Sandbox Simulations

Cox I sent you a PM on here. I may be able to help with a data source.

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    Minor update: I put in about 7 hours of good work over the weekend. The effort went into updating the player availability table. It is not done yet.

Nitty gritty details:
    1. There are two sets of player IDs in the database; 1) our internal IDs and 2) IDs assigned by our former data source. We need to convert everything to run only off of our internal IDs. I started that today with the player availability table. This required some programming in addition to data wrangling.
    2. Player availability resolution deals with issues of identifying unique identities for each individual in the NFL. The NFL typically identifies players as P.Mahomes for Patrick Mahomes. Simple, right?
    a) Both Justin Watson and Jaylen Watson play for the Chiefs. The NFL parses these as Ju. Watson and Ja. Watson. Not so easy all of the sudden.
    b) Curve ball. There are two Michael Carters in the NFL. They both play for the Jets. Except one of the Michael Carters played for two teams in 2023.
    c) Sr., Jr., II, III, IV, and yes even V are separate suffixes of players in the NFL. These cases require special handling.
    d) Don’t get me started on hyphenated last names.
    e) two players changed their last names in the last few years.
    f) I try to include team affiliation to increase certainty of identity. In-season change of teams throws that into doubt. They are very frequent.
    g) Nicknames. Decobie -> Cobie. Which do I search for?

Everyone of these cases requires manual curation. I’ve greatly automated the process but it still requires a lot of manual curation.

Expect another update next weekend.
    Lead Developer of Sandbox Simulations

Thank for the update we understand there will be some delay but we know you will work them out. Is there any new things coming out for the game. but thank for all you do.

Quote Originally Posted by cdcox View Post
    Minor update: I put in about 7 hours of good work over the weekend. The effort went into updating the player availability table. It is not done yet.

Nitty gritty details:
    1. There are two sets of player IDs in the database; 1) our internal IDs and 2) IDs assigned by our former data source. We need to convert everything to run only off of our internal IDs. I started that today with the player availability table. This required some programming in addition to data wrangling.
    2. Player availability resolution deals with issues of identifying unique identities for each individual in the NFL. The NFL typically identifies players as P.Mahomes for Patrick Mahomes. Simple, right?
    a) Both Justin Watson and Jaylen Watson play for the Chiefs. The NFL parses these as Ju. Watson and Ja. Watson. Not so easy all of the sudden.
    b) Curve ball. There are two Michael Carters in the NFL. They both play for the Jets. Except one of the Michael Carters played for two teams in 2023.
    c) Sr., Jr., II, III, IV, and yes even V are separate suffixes of players in the NFL. These cases require special handling.
    d) Don?t get me started on hyphenated last names.
    e) two players changed their last names in the last few years.
    f) I try to include team affiliation to increase certainty of identity. In-season change of teams throws that into doubt. They are very frequent.
    g) Nicknames. Decobie -> Cobie. Which do I search for?

Everyone of these cases requires manual curation. I?ve greatly automated the process but it still requires a lot of manual curation.

Expect another update next weekend.
    We appreciate you

Thank you for the update

CD, most of us are pleased to have such a unique game to play and appreciate you.

Take the time you need.