Thread: I will say it again

I will say it again

Going to the Universities around you and contracting Unpaid Interns.

Will solve the majority of the issues that your consumers keep telling you you have.

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    No one is going to code for free. It is a skill that has value in the marketplace.

We hired an intern in the development days. He helped with a key issue or two, but was painfully slow. We probably didn't get our monies worth. I could not really turn him loose on the main code because 1) he wasn't that familiar with American football, and 2) the game was under development so he couldn't play it to see how it works. His code was okay but I expected better from some one formally trained.

I worked with another intern that was the solo developer on a project at my regular job. It was a fast-track project that we needed something that could work. Working full time, I would have knocked it out in month or two. He made a lot of progress over the course of a year, and the quality of the code was excellent, but could never finish it.

The moral of the story for me is that there is a huge gap between someone who has taken some classes in computer science and someone who can deliver on production ready code. No doubt some interns could be worthwhile, but they don't appear to be hirable at $15/hr.

We also had a local company help me with some security issues and an integration issue I was struggling with. That was quality work, but very expensive.

I'll just say that nothing is as easy as it appears to someone who hasn't lived it.
    Last edited by cdcox; 11-27-2023 at 03:08 AM.
    Lead Developer of Sandbox Simulations

Quote Originally Posted by cdcox View Post
    No one is going to code for free. It is a skill that has value in the marketplace.

We hired an intern in the development days. He helped with a key issue or two, but was painfully slow. We probably didn't get our monies worth. I could not really turn him loose on the main code because 1) he wasn't that familiar with American football, and 2) the game was under development so he couldn't play it to see how it works. His code was okay but I expected better from some one formally trained.

I worked with another intern that was the solo developer on a project at my regular job. It was a fast-track project that we needed something that could work. Working full time, I would have knocked it out in month or two. He made a lot of progress over the course of a year, and the quality of the code was excellent, but could never finish it.

The moral of the story for me is that there is a huge gap between someone who has taken some classes in computer science and someone who can deliver on production ready code. No doubt some interns could be worthwhile, but they don't appear to be hirable at $15/hr.

We also had a local company help me with some security issues and an integration issue I was struggling with. That was quality work, but very expensive.

I'll just say that nothing is as easy as it appears to someone who hasn't lived it.

Since you are stuck in the mindset that your only need is help with "code", I will stop.

Let me know when you can hear my voice.

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    Everything anyone has ever suggested requires several hours of “code”. Many of the ideas have merit. They take “code” to implement and right now there is a focus on code changes that affect our bottom line.
    Lead Developer of Sandbox Simulations

Yes that's why some people are very well paid, their work cannot be replicated easily.