Thread: QB rushing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmcm2297 View Post
    Maybe the issue isn't the QB running maybe its the lack of options to defend against it. Like you said in a previous post you have to be in 5wr set to run with QB which will force most teams into dime packages but on the flip side if a team were to switch out of dime packages you would get passed all over, in your case you're already doing both, but that's not the norm. So it's more or less impossible to stop both my suggestion would be to add the QB to the handoff% like the HB1, HB2, HB3, FB. That still doesn't fix the other issue though and I don't have a good fix for the other issue. Maybe be able to set % of defence packages against offensive packages wouldn't be a guaranteed fix but then we could set 50% dime 50% run defense and it should atleast match up appropriately sometimes. I don't have a full proof fix though

I like the idea of setting the QB in with the Back percentages.

Seems like it would be a near complete fix of the issue, however.

Only other addition would be to revamp the QB run effectiveness algorithm to eliminate the long off book scrambles from its calculations when in a designed run.

Otherwise, we would just have Josh and the likes running 8-15 yards out of the I formation, and that solves nothing.

Computing averages, based on actual QB designed run statistics only, would probably help.

Assuming those numbers are newly available.

That could definitively balance the sim with reality, even if those new numbers are used in the 5wr set only.

I seem to remember Cox saying that one of the reasons QB run averages are so inflated is because the current computation includes a lot of 3rd and long QB runs.

Runs where all the DB's are back in deep coverage chasing WR's and once the pocket breaks down there is nothing in front of the QB but open field for 10/15/20 yards.

Cox...

Is there now a source of statistics that gives you QB run numbers usable for the algorithm based solely on QB designed runs without the off-book scrambles?

If possible, perhaps you can leave the actual scramble numbers in, for when a broken pocket actually happens, in the sim too.

On the first glance, at least, one would think, those new numbers based only on designed QB runs, would probably make the results in sim more realistic...

Is this possible? Are those numbers on QB designed runs now available to you? I am guessing they were not previously available, are they now?

Have you looked recently? If not, would you look when you get some time? It could be a true game changer that might not be that time consuming for install next season.

Just my opinions, and ideas, I could be wrong.

I'd appreciate knowing your mind on the concept.
    Last edited by UmmBerrto; 11-21-2023 at 09:25 PM.