Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QB rushing

Right on man!

Quote Originally Posted by Cmcm2297 View Post
    Maybe the issue isn't the QB running maybe its the lack of options to defend against it. Like you said in a previous post you have to be in 5wr set to run with QB which will force most teams into dime packages but on the flip side if a team were to switch out of dime packages you would get passed all over, in your case you're already doing both, but that's not the norm. So it's more or less impossible to stop both my suggestion would be to add the QB to the handoff% like the HB1, HB2, HB3, FB. That still doesn't fix the other issue though and I don't have a good fix for the other issue. Maybe be able to set % of defence packages against offensive packages wouldn't be a guaranteed fix but then we could set 50% dime 50% run defense and it should atleast match up appropriately sometimes. I don't have a full proof fix though

I like the idea of setting the QB in with the Back percentages.

Seems like it would be a near complete fix of the issue, however.

Only other addition would be to revamp the QB run effectiveness algorithm to eliminate the long off book scrambles from its calculations when in a designed run.

Otherwise, we would just have Josh and the likes running 8-15 yards out of the I formation, and that solves nothing.

Computing averages, based on actual QB designed run statistics only, would probably help.

Assuming those numbers are newly available.

That could definitively balance the sim with reality, even if those new numbers are used in the 5wr set only.

I seem to remember Cox saying that one of the reasons QB run averages are so inflated is because the current computation includes a lot of 3rd and long QB runs.

Runs where all the DB's are back in deep coverage chasing WR's and once the pocket breaks down there is nothing in front of the QB but open field for 10/15/20 yards.

Cox...

Is there now a source of statistics that gives you QB run numbers usable for the algorithm based solely on QB designed runs without the off-book scrambles?

If possible, perhaps you can leave the actual scramble numbers in, for when a broken pocket actually happens, in the sim too.

On the first glance, at least, one would think, those new numbers based only on designed QB runs, would probably make the results in sim more realistic...

Is this possible? Are those numbers on QB designed runs now available to you? I am guessing they were not previously available, are they now?

Have you looked recently? If not, would you look when you get some time? It could be a true game changer that might not be that time consuming for install next season.

Just my opinions, and ideas, I could be wrong.

I'd appreciate knowing your mind on the concept.
    Last edited by UmmBerrto; 11-21-2023 at 09:25 PM.

these are the same people in online madden who run the same broken play over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by tambaberry View Post
    these are the same people in online madden who run the same broken play over and over again.
    Sounds like you suck at Madden.

Maybe the issue isn't the QB running maybe its the lack of options to defend against it. Like you said in a previous post you have to be in 5wr set to run with QB which will force most teams into dime packages but on the flip side if a team were to switch out of dime packages you would get passed all over, in your case you're already doing both, but that's not the norm. So it's more or less impossible to stop both my suggestion would be to add the QB to the handoff% like the HB1, HB2, HB3, FB. That still doesn't fix the other issue though and I don't have a good fix for the other issue. Maybe be able to set % of defence packages against offensive packages wouldn't be a guaranteed fix but then we could set 50% dime 50% run defense and it should atleast match up appropriately sometimes. I don't have a full proof fix though
    In the NFL would you run out in a base formation half the time that Josh Allen was on the field with 5wr? What do you think he would do if he had a QB draw called? He would probably audible to a pass. Likewise if you have 6 DB's on the field and you're dropping back in coverage, odds are he's going to audible to a run or drop back and then scramble against a light box. I'm not sure how calling base 50% of the time and dime 50% of the time is supposed to solve the "problem." Yes, a dual-threat QB is difficult to stop. That's the entire point. It's no more difficult in SB than it is in the NFL or college.
    Rashan Gary had a total of 6 sacks last year. In our league he already has 7 in just 3 games. Does that mean that he should no longer be effective as a pass rusher? In Patriots1 Stefon Diggs had twice the amount of drops that he's had in his worst NFL season. Nobody seemed to be too concerned with the catch rate. Right now Marco Wilson has 3 ints which matches his season total in all of 2022. No tears for his INT rate though. If you're going to nitpick about one thing then you have to nitpick about all of it. Like I said, QB runs are no further askew than anything else in this sim. 6-7ypc vs 3-5 people in the box is not farfetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood View Post
    In the NFL would you run out in a base formation half the time that Josh Allen was on the field with 5wr? What do you think he would do if he had a QB draw called? He would probably audible to a pass. Likewise if you have 6 DB's on the field and you're dropping back in coverage, odds are he's going to audible to a run or drop back and then scramble against a light box. I'm not sure how calling base 50% of the time and dime 50% of the time is supposed to solve the "problem." Yes, a dual-threat QB is difficult to stop. That's the entire point. It's no more difficult in SB than it is in the NFL or college.
    Rashan Gary had a total of 6 sacks last year. In our league he already has 7 in just 3 games. Does that mean that he should no longer be effective as a pass rusher? In Patriots1 Stefon Diggs had twice the amount of drops that he's had in his worst NFL season. Nobody seemed to be too concerned with the catch rate. Right now Marco Wilson has 3 ints which matches his season total in all of 2022. No tears for his INT rate though. If you're going to nitpick about one thing then you have to nitpick about all of it. Like I said, QB runs are no further askew than anything else in this sim. 6-7ypc vs 3-5 people in the box is not farfetched.
    In real life the defenders are aware and know what's going on so in the back of their mind they know, we are playing Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Justin Fields, Daniel Jones, etc. This doesn't have that all it has is QBs have this success rate running against dime defenses so the QB will be this successful. I agree their are plenty of other issues none impacting things on a game to game basis more than running QBs and the sack numbers probably.

Also the problem isn't that Josh Allen has so many rushing yards in this league specifically its the success of all QBs running in all leagues I've been in and challenge games I've seen, not just dual threat QBs. So I don't see Marco Wilson at 3 ints as big of a deal. Like I said I do agree the sack numbers are crazy as well.

Also the problem isn't that Josh Allen has so many rushing yards in this league specifically its the success of all QBs running in all leagues I've been in and challenge games I've seen, not just dual threat QBs. So I don't see Marco Wilson at 3 ints as big of a deal. Like I said I do agree the sack numbers are crazy as well.
    Fair point about the defensive awareness aspect but I believe that's what Cox was trying to take into consideration when he implemented more attempts = less success. I haven't actually encountered QB runs from pocket QB's too much. I play a lot of the same teams over and over on the challenge boards and I haven't come across it in league play. I agree that having a QB like Brady, Stafford, or Goff rushing for 100y a game on a consistent basis would be a big red flag but I just haven't seen it personally. And Marco Wilson may not be on your radar now but wait until week 16 when he has 12 picks on the season lol. I really just came to accept SB for its quirks like I do Madden or any other game really. Maybe after I graduate I'll see if I can help out at all with the programming. Good luck tonight!

What we are basically talking about is this:
    Jacoby Brissett
    203 att
    1177 yds
    5 tds
    5.8 ypc

I'm fine with outlier performances from players who already do something well

Dang so i should just set Fields to run a bunch is what youre all telling me? I mean he runs a bit from broken plays as is, but he cant run like that ever. Oddly he was the best running QB in RL in 22 lmao