Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We're pondering trying something - a new feature. (And some marketing talk.)

I appreciate what you are saying and doing Kevin (and cdcox). IMO, the biggest impediment has been the turmoil of the off seasons (delay in getting season started) and the time it takes to do the drafts. Last off-season's turmoil (including the near total lack of communication from yourself and CD) is probably the reason that so many teams are currently running with a bot. IMO, one hour time limits during drafts could be cut in half......drafts are just taking too long. While the last off-season certainly got rid of those players that were "instant gratification" types, I am hopeful that a marketing strategy can be found for those of us who like to play "the long game".

I’m curious about how the alternate alternate universe works after the season. Do we go through a draft and keep that ongoing, in essence running two versions of the same team? Or is it just to get new people interested and then they switch over to the original alternate universe?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMeynardie View Post
    I’m curious about how the alternate alternate universe works after the season. Do we go through a draft and keep that ongoing, in essence running two versions of the same team? Or is it just to get new people interested and then they switch over to the original alternate universe?
    Back in the day, the Sim was created to keep us occupied AFTER the season.
    The Sim has no data to run until they play so our season should start after '23.
    When this was in beta we drafted prior to seasons. The Sim has finally caught up.

Just trying to understand your question?

a new feature. (and some marketing talk)

I did a comment on facebook under Edmund Notheabert a few week ago to tell people what I thought of the game you can look it up under on facebook. I know we had a bad start to the new season and that did not help out at all. And I know there are other thing that need to be done to make that game better. Just my opinion alot of times we ask question and it take a few days or a week to get to the answer. Some people want a answer right away and if they don't get it they don't stay and we lose people and I know it take some time to get to it. Maybe cdcox need some one to try and answer them when they come in. That would help cdcox work on what he need to do to keep the game running. That person could keep cdcox up to date with what other owner are look for or the complaint that come in. When all the bad thing happen this year all of us just want to know what was going on and that is call communication and when cdcox had time he would let us know what was going on. But that didn't go over good with some of the owner and we lost some of them. It wasn't cdcox fault because he was working on making thing right. But we need to work on that. that why I think someone should help him out. I like to see one league that would just be a league that would be a test league were if someone came up with a idea they would try it and see how it would help out with how it would help the game. We all ask for think we would like to see and if it would make the game better down the road. So if it work it would be add in each year to make the game better.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMeynardie View Post
    I was wondering about that too. When they come back to the original alternate universe they'd be at a bit of a disadvantage since they would've already missed a good part of the off-season.

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    I need to think about how the year 2022a sims would work simultaneously with teams participating in free agency. Those would need to happen simultaneously. The code isn't set up that way right now, so it might be the fatal flaw Kevin mentioned. It depends how difficult it will be to make lineups happen with changing rosters and with players who have zero-year contracts.
    Lead Developer of Sandbox Simulations

Quote Originally Posted by smackawits View Post
    I appreciate what you are saying and doing Kevin (and cdcox). IMO, the biggest impediment has been the turmoil of the off seasons (delay in getting season started) and the time it takes to do the drafts. Last off-season's turmoil (including the near total lack of communication from yourself and CD) is probably the reason that so many teams are currently running with a bot. IMO, one hour time limits during drafts could be cut in half......drafts are just taking too long. While the last off-season certainly got rid of those players that were "instant gratification" types, I am hopeful that a marketing strategy can be found for those of us who like to play "the long game".
    I think that problem would be solved with more active teams. I believe CDCOX said it be to hard to code autopick for bot teams. And the college draft took less then a week in most leagues so I think that problem will fix itself. The first draft takes forever you are right. The late season start did lose lot of members (the trading with bot teams incident played big factor in that). Biggest thing is getting more players to join because I believe once they do they'll stick.
    The downtime is an issue though. I think the active league will help with lot of that.

Allowing anyone newly brought in to participate in building their team seems like a huge anchor to keep their interest. Things that encourage more involvement--trading and free agents during the season, for instance, would also be big for retention, I'd think.
    One other suggestion for recruitment is that part of the draw of fantasy football is playing with your group of friends. I have no idea the feasibility, but allowing registration of a group of people to play a league together seems like it could bring in others. You could combine a couple 4-8 team groups to fill out a league, for example. Engagement would be higher if it's your friends that you're trading with.
    Last edited by mdboucher; 09-20-2023 at 03:52 PM.

One thing I think need work on are trades. So many times someone will propose a trade and if you reject it that the end of it. There are very few owner will send a counter trade to see if they can work thing out. You say we need communiction to keep people interest in the game that is one way. if we all can try and do something like that it might keep people interest in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by pit1232 View Post
    One thing I think need work on are trades. So many times someone will propose a trade and if you reject it that the end of it. There are very few owner will send a counter trade to see if they can work thing out. You say we need communiction to keep people interest in the game that is one way. if we all can try and do something like that it might keep people interest in the game.
    I think Facebook group or WhatsApp group text will help that. 90% of the trades I’ve made have come from Facebook chat or private messaging where we go back and forth before trade is agreed to and offered and accepted.