Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Draft...set bots to auto select?

Rookie Draft...set bots to auto select?

Is it possible to set the bot teams to auto-select to speed up the draft? In Bills-1 it would cut the time down dramatically.

Please, this would be a big improvement

Quote Originally Posted by smackawits View Post
    Is it possible to set the bot teams to auto-select to speed up the draft? In Bills-1 it would cut the time down dramatically.
    could you do that in all of the drafts that are going to happen this weekend and thank you

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    That isn't how auto-pick works.

Consider a live human player who has 10 players on their draft board and thinks that is enough to cover their pick, sets the auto pick on, and goes on with their life. But, all the players on their draft board get picked before their pick comes up. I had two choices in the programming: choice 1 was to program it to immediately go to autopick and the owner getting stuck with a player they may not want; choice 2 was to program it to give the owner the full hour to make their pick after getting an email notifying them that they were on the clock. I went with choice 2. So making only bots immediately pick would require a significant change to the code that I don't have time to do in the next two days.

I've always found 1 hour between picks to be about right. That equates to 1 or 2 picks per day, which is about the right pace for me managing two teams. That equates to a couple of hours of work per night.

If any league wants to move to a shorter draft clock, start a thread titled "short draft clock for XXXX1". If every member in the league (ignore bots) posts in the thread approving a 30 min or 15 min draft clock, I will make the change. Chiefs1 and Raiders1 will stay on a 1 hour draft clock, because those are the leagues I play in.
    Lead Developer of Sandbox Simulations

Quote Originally Posted by cdcox View Post

Consider a live human player who has 10 players on their draft board and thinks that is enough to cover their pick, sets the auto pick on, and goes on with their life. But, all the players on their draft board get picked before their pick comes up. I had two choices in the programming: choice 1 was to program it to immediately go to autopick and the owner getting stuck with a player they may not want; choice 2 was to program it to give the owner the full hour to make their pick after getting an email notifying them that they were on the clock. I went with choice 2. So making only bots immediately pick would require a significant change to the code that I don't have time to do in the next two days.

I've always found 1 hour between picks to be about right. That equates to 1 or 2 picks per day, which is about the right pace for me managing two teams. That equates to a couple of hours of work per night.

If any league wants to move to a shorter draft clock, start a thread titled "short draft clock for XXXX1". If every member in the league (ignore bots) posts in the thread approving a 30 min or 15 min draft clock, I will make the change. Chiefs1 and Raiders1 will stay on a 1 hour draft clock, because those are the leagues I play in.
    You should not have to do extra work to accomodate different leagues.......if, in the future, you can auto pick bot teams (who pick the next player drafted in the real draft irregardless of needs), that would be a tremendous help (I believe) in keeping owners in the game. The goal for any programming you do in the future should be for this one goal IMO. You have a good game, you just lost a chunk of people with the terrible off-season and pre-season we all just experienced. Now we need to keep what we have and grow the number of players.

Wouldn’t it be worth delaying rookie drafts a week or two to accommodate this change? A lot of leagues have like 12, 15, etc bit teams in their league. A change like this (forcing bot teams to auto pick immediately) would have a significant impact on the user experience of the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by cdcox View Post

It's a good rhythm, one or maybe two picks a day, however, if I may suggest...

In the Manual and in the Videos you created, you give new users an expectation that the draft will be quick and penalties will be litigated for those who are not, specifically that they will be put on an AutoDraft.

Your video creates this expectation.

This false expectation has lead many people to a place where the draft experience is less than stellar.

My suggestion, would be to remove the video and the portions of the manual that tells people there will be a quick draft and add a more appropriate rewrite to the manual and re-edited video, that can deliver the correct expectation.

That way, new users are not lead to the same unappreciative state that the current and previous users have fallen prey too concerning the expediency of the drafting process.

We understand, via experience, that the draft will take a day per round.

Your video, gave us a different expectation, and as such, inspired an attitude of negativity surrounding the current experience.

Re-edit the video, rewrite that portion of the Manual and the new users will have a greater appreciation for the current product, and over time, the complaints will dissipate.

Until then, each new user who sees the video and reads the manual will come into the game with the same expectations and frustrations from the same undelivered promises to quickly and automatically draft for the owners that don't draft in time.

In other words, you created the expectation, but didn't fullfil it, edit the video before the new users are exposed and over time, well, I think you get the picture.

"Just my opinion, I could be wrong."
    {Dennis Miller}
    Last edited by UmmBerrto; 09-07-2023 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UmmBerrto View Post
    It's a good rhythm, one or maybe two picks a day, however, if I may suggest...

In the Manual and in the Videos you created, you give new users an expectation that the draft will be quick and penalties will be litigated for those who are not, specifically that they will be put on an AutoDraft.

Your video creates this expectation.

This false expectation has lead many people to a place where the draft experience is less than stellar.

My suggestion, would be to remove the video and the portions of the manual that tells people there will be a quick draft and add a more appropriate rewrite to the manual and re-edited video, that can deliver the correct expectation.

That way, new users are not lead to the same unappreciative state that the current and previous users have fallen prey too concerning the expediency of the drafting process.

We understand, via experience, that the draft will take a day per round.

Your video, gave us a different expectation, and as such, inspired an attitude of negativity surrounding the current experience.

Re-edit the video, rewrite that portion of the Manual and the new users will have a greater appreciation for the current product, and over time, the complaints will dissipate.

Until then, each new user who sees the video and reads the manual will come into the game with the same expectations and frustrations from the same undelivered promises to quickly and automatically draft for the owners that don't draft in time.

In other words, you created the expectation, but didn't fullfil it, edit the video before the new users are exposed and over time, well, I think you get the picture.

"Just my opinion, I could be wrong."
    {Dennis Miller}
    I think you hit it on the head. I like to see a change in the way the draft is run. But it is the way it is.

Yall just can't figure it out.

Its writing extra code for your dreams. This is just a side gig for cocks who isn't making any money but dealing with everyone who thinks they can do it better, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind From West View Post
    Yall just can't figure it out.

Its writing extra code for your dreams. This is just a side gig for cocks who isn't making any money but dealing with everyone who thinks they can do it better, lol.
    Are you talking to me?