Thread: Established Leagues - How did your rookie draft go?

Administrator
    Blog Entries

Established Leagues - How did your rookie draft go?

I think this was the first year where people drafted rookies before they played in the NFL, so it requires some scouting. How did your drafts go?

I have three teams. One thing I noticed about myself is that I'll like some guys in the draft and I end up drafting them in more than one league. That's great if the guy ends up being good and it's kind of a disaster if the guy is a bust. From a game perspective, I feel ike I should draft in each league independently, and if I like a guy I should draft him whenever it's feasible. From an overall strategy perspective, I probably shouldn't do that, to better ensure that I'll field competitive teams and not tank in all three leagues if my rookies don't pan out. I tend to put all of my eggs in one basket.

Here are my three rookie drafts. (First team in this post and then other teams in subsequent posts.)

Bengals1 League - Muncie Wolfpack.

This team missed the playoffs last year and had a number of holes to fill. In particular, I needed running help and linebackers.

1 – Breece Hall, RB. My team needed RB help bad. We got half a season of help, but the injury will really hurt us.
    2 – Isaiah Likely, TE. I worried that I was overdrafting this guy, but the pre-draft reports were sensational. I think I overdrafted him, but he was still somewhat productive.
    3 – Nakobe Dean, ILB. What the heck happened here? I thought he was going to win the starting job, and he barely needed a helmet this year.
    4 – Tariq Woolen, CB. Instant starter.
    5 – Leo Chenal, ILB. He was my biggest draft crush so I drafted him even though I'd just taken Dean two rounds earlier. He started slow, but was really making an impression in run defense by the end of the year.
    6 – Ty Chandler, RB. I was hearing good things pre-draft and then got crickets. Maybe he’s developing.
    7 – Cordell Volson, G. Starting guard at the end of the draft. That’s a win, though I thought I was drafting a tackle and I don’t know how well he performed given the Bengals’ pass protection problems.

Overall grade: C

Woolen is my big find. Hall was looking good until the injury, and I'm hopeful that several guys will develop in their second year. I'm optimistic that this will end up being a strong draft, but I'm getting less help than I hoped this year.
    Last edited by Kevin; 03-16-2023 at 09:24 PM.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Raiders1 - Newport Beach Neptunes

Even though they've never won a Sandbox Bowl, this team is a perennial powerhouse. It's traditionally been a smothering defense and strong rushing attack with a mediocre passing game.

1 – Malik Willis, QB. I need a long-term answer at QB, and figured I could wait for his development while Tannehill runs my team. He may need a lot longer to develop than I expected. Yeesh.
    2 – Trey McBride, TE. I needed to upgrade my TE position and he seemed like a safe pick. He didn’t quite achieve what I hoped, but at the same time he was a starter, so I’m optimistic.
    3 – Luke Fortner, C. Center wasn’t a high need area, but he seemed worth the risk and it paid off.
    4 – Coby Bryant, CB. I had high hopes for him, but Woolen took the starting job. I think he did well as a nickel back, though, so I’ll call it a win.
    5 – Tariq Woolen, CB. I needed CBs bad and was seeing good things, so I doubled him up with Bryant. That worked.
    6 – Zach Tom, G. I thought he was going to ride the bench all year, but he got a little playing time at the end. Progress comes in small steps.
    7 – Ty Chander, RB. Obviously I was enamored with this guy’s potential. Maybe next year.

Overall Grade: C-. Obviously, Willis is the big question mark. I'm hoping McBride steps up. This was kind of a cornerback draft for me in terms of short-term production. I'll likely be the same running team with a good defense, which gets me into the playoffs but not to the summit.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Chiefs1 - Denver Ermines

This has historically been a strong team, albeit with a few weaknesses, most notably at WR. So my goal was to address that.

1 – Malik Willis, QB – I’m searching for an eventual replacement for Matt Stafford. I have a ways to go.
    2 – Romeo Doubs, WR – Pretty good for a rookie. I’m satisfied.
    3 – Khalil Shakir, WR – I had hopes for this guy, but he didn’t live up to them. I’m hopeful for future growth.
    4 – Coby Bryant, CB. Yep, I liked this guy. I hoped he would start, but he nonetheless played well.
    5 – Braxton Jones, LT. He was a developmental pick who ended up starting. My impression was that he was embattled, but part of that was Fields’ quarterbacking style. I’ll count this as a win.
    6 – Tariq Woolen, CB. I think I’d read something about him that I really liked, and whoever wrote it was a genius.
    7 – Lecitis Smith, C/G. He did better than one would expect from a 7th-round offensive lineman, but those are low expectations. Maybe he’ll get more playing time next year.

Overall Grade: B. I can't go higher than a B given Willis' performance, but Doubs will step up for me as a rookie WR, and I snagged a starting LT and pro bowl CB in the late rounds. I wish my early rounds were as productive as my late rounds when I draft.

I actually don't remember who I drafted and when I drafted them.

Does that make me a bad GM?

I just drafted for pats1 and I don't remember those guys either.

Well I traded most of my guys for starters.

I probably got hosed, I just didn't feel like diving into the draft like I thought I would when I traded to get all the picks in the first place.

I had eight pics in the first four rounds and I traded them for ekler, Kelce and Buckner. And maybe someone else.

I actually don't remember.

I lost my family to a wife who just was a bad choice from the beginning.

I have three kids with her and now I gotta act like it's all good and she didn't do anything wrong.

Because we all know they can never see their own issues.

If I want to see my kids I have to be all Mister nice guy.

Team is a good team right now either way.

But I could have done better and I know it.
    Last edited by UmmBerrto; 03-17-2023 at 02:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UmmBerrto View Post
    I actually don't remember who I drafted and when I drafted them.

Does that make me a bad GM?

I just drafted for pats1 and I don't remember those guys either.

Well I traded most of my guys for starters.

I probably got hosed, I just didn't feel like diving into the draft like I thought I would when I traded to get all the picks in the first place.

I had eight pics in the first four rounds and I traded them for ekler, Kelce and Buckner. And maybe someone else.

I actually don't remember.

I lost my family to a wife who just was a bad choice from the beginning.

I have three kids with her and now I gotta act like it's all good and she didn't do anything wrong.

Because we all know they can never see their own issues.

If I want to see my kids I have to be all Mister nice guy.

Team is a good team right now either way.

But I could have done better and I know it.
    same here...wish a record was kept for posterity..but I'll be gratefull just to get playing again

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    You can actually look on your roster and right now the rookies are all listed as R1, R2, etc.

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    I'll play. As Kevin mentioned, you can find your rookies listed in the Manage Roster page.

Raiders 1 -- New Orleans River Cats

R1 -- Kaiir Elam CB. He played in 13 games as a rookie, starting in 6. He was nagged by a few injuries but played reasonably well for a rookie. He's projected as an every down corner for the Bills in 2023. He'll start when healthy in a thin CB room for the River Cats.

R2-- Jaquan Brisker S. He started in 15 games as a rookie. Missed two games with a concussion. Played well with an interception, 4 sacks, and 71 tackles. He's a starter for the River Cats.

R3-- Dameon Pierce HB. He rushed for 939 yards in 13 games before he missed the rest of the season with a high ankle sprain. Should come back strong in 2023. He's a starter when healthy for the River Cats.

R4 -- Khalil Shakir WR. Just 10 receptions in his rookie campaign spread over 14 games. He's mentioned in some circles as a breakout WR candidate in 2023. We'll see. He may not make the final roster for the Cats.

R5 -- Braxton Jones OT. Every down starter for Chicago at left tackle, surrendering only 7 sacks. Great value here, but he will be riding the pine in 2022 for the Cats, but will likely move into a starting roll in the future.

R6 -- Micah McFadden LB. Played in all 17 games, starting 7. He struggled plenty, so his value to the River Cats will depend on how he progresses from here. He is a depth player for the Cats.

R7 -- Kyren Williams HB. Racked up 139 in 35 carries and 76 air yards on 9 receptions in spot duty. He'll need to up his game to stick on the River Cats roster. He'll be the third option at HB for the Cats, but will see some snaps when Pierce is injured.

Summing it all up, three starters, one future starter, two depth players and one player struggling to make the roster. Not bad, but maybe lacking a HOF potential player. I'll give it a B+.
    Lead Developer of Sandbox Simulations

Jets1 Grim Reapers

Rd 1 Kenny Pickett: started 12 games 2,700 total yards and 10 total tds, not a bad rookie campaign

Rd 2 Braxton Jones: Started every snap at LT for the Bears, needs to clean up the penalties a bit but a great rookie year with a bright future

Rd3 Coby Bryant: Played in all 17 games started 6, 4 passes defended 4 forced fumbles 2 sacks and 70 tackles great rookie year

Rd4 Brian Robinson Jr: After being shot he sat out a few games but started 9 games with 800 total yards and 3 tds should be a beast next year

Rd5 Cade Otten: Started 11 games 42 catches 2 tds

Rd 5 Daniel Bellinger: Started 11 games 30 catches 2tds

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    fter the WTF retirements of Ali Marpet AND JC Tretter.Chiefs 1 -- Nashville Golden Mules

This was a fun draft, due to trades. The Mules are a strong overall roster, lacking a great QB. We went into the draft needed to upgrade the interior OL after the WTF retirements of Ali Marpet AND JC Tretter.

R1a (traded Davante Adams) -- Chris Olave WR. Obviously it wasn't reasonable to expect Olave to match Adams production. But I wanted to avoid a big FA contract for an over 30 receiver. This is a long play and Olave delivered with 1042 yards in his rookie campaign. He'll be in the starting WR group.

R1b (traded Braden Smith) --Trent McDuffie CB. I had real depth at OT in 2021, so I traded Braden for a 2022 first round pick. No loss in talent for the the Mules in trading Smith. McDuffie had injury issues in early 2022, but came on strong as a shut down corner for the Chiefs. He'll be a long term starter for the Mules from day one.

R1c (natural pick for the Mules) -- Zion Johnson G. I needed a sure thing on the OL and Zion was the ticket. He played every snap for the Chargers. Fatties only get better as they age. But he'll be a development player for the Mules in 2022, thanks to some good FA pickups.

R2 -- Cam Jurgens. I bet on Cam as the future C for the Mules. The lesser Kelce held the starting position down for the Eagles, but eventually Cam will be the man. In the mean time, I needed to pick up Corey Linsey in FA, so the the jury is still out on Cam.

R3 -- Dameon Pierce HB. He rushed for 939 yards in 13 games before he missed the rest of the season with a high ankle sprain. Should come back strong in 2023. The Mules needed a new HB, and Dameon was the answer.

R4 -- DeMarvin Leal LB. Leal was supposed to be a developmental player for a long tern replacement for aging edge players. Not sure he is going to pan out, and not clear if he will make the final roster for the Mules.

R5 -- Zach Tom T. Tom filled in on the OL for the Packers and did reasonably well. This is a player with upside, that has a future with the Mules.

R6 -- Kyren Williams HB. Racked up 139 in 35 carries and 76 air yards on 9 receptions in spot duty. He'll need to up his game to stick on the Mules roster after 2022. He'll be the third option at HB this year, but will see some snaps when Pierce is injured.

R7 -- Nick Zakelj G. Didn't see much action in 2022. Strictly a development player for a deep OL for the Mules.

Summing it all up, three immediate starters, two projected future starters, one good rotational back up, and three players that need to prove something to have a future. I like Olave and McDuffie as future stars. But figuring in the trades of Adams and B. Smith, I give this draft a B.

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tophardtjr View Post
    Jets1 Grim Reapers

Rd 1 Kenny Pickett: started 12 games 2,700 total yards and 10 total tds, not a bad rookie campaign

Rd 2 Braxton Jones: Started every snap at LT for the Bears, needs to clean up the penalties a bit but a great rookie year with a bright future

Rd3 Coby Bryant: Played in all 17 games started 6, 4 passes defended 4 forced fumbles 2 sacks and 70 tackles great rookie year

Rd4 Brian Robinson Jr: After being shot he sat out a few games but started 9 games with 800 total yards and 3 tds should be a beast next year

Rd5 Cade Otten: Started 11 games 42 catches 2 tds

Rd 5 Daniel Bellinger: Started 11 games 30 catches 2tds
    "After being shot..." is never what you want as the first three words reviewing a rookie season, but he rebounded nicely. If Pickett works out, you have a great draft.