Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is the off season so hard for you guys to operate?

Why is the off season so hard for you guys to operate?

The 1st season was fun once we got past the program errors which caused our league to have to redraft, but this off season has sucked.

Absolutely no guidance, not updates provided to the coaches/players. I just read that the player availability will not be ready by the cut off dates - I don’t even know the cut offs dates,

Why is it so difficult to post a season calendar detailing the deadlines, start dates, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Knorr View Post
    The 1st season was fun once we got past the program errors which caused our league to have to redraft, but this off season has sucked.

Absolutely no guidance, not updates provided to the coaches/players. I just read that the player availability will not be ready by the cut off dates - I don’t even know the cut offs dates,

Why is it so difficult to post a season calendar detailing the deadlines, start dates, etc?

Consistent updates( Nightly ), even if it's bad news would definitely be nice.

I check the game most every day.

It would be nice to know if the guys running it do the same.

Kind of the old Bill Clinton/Winston Churchill fireside chats.

But, I cannot imagine what they are going through with all the craziness that transpired over the last six weeks.

I get the impression that the game is a labor of love that might no longer be so lovely to all involved.

I imagine part of that love loss might have to do with us, the players.

However, I am just guessing.

Maybe these guys still love this game like it was the first time, and they are overloaded with life responsibilities and the such.

I am just spit balling.

Unless you know what they are doing, even if they explained it to us, would we really comprehend the why?

Having said all that, communication about the what, would still be cool.

This is probably the only game where I have had direct communication with the designers.

It's kinda cool, but also a bit frustrating because I don't know if they really hear me.

Such is life.

The schedule got messed up with the bot trading issue. Coding and programming takes time and this is a second job for Cdcox and Kevin or a hobby. They have lives outside of this. And the price is fairly cheap so willing to bet they don’t make much money off it. So be greatful we have sandbox and be patient.

I've been asking the same thing for weeks and still have not received guidance.

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    1. We can’t begin getting ready for simulation until after the regular season is over.
    2. We both have demanding jobs that usually take 50+ hours per week. Some weeks it is much more. Which weeks are going to be busy isn’t always predictable.
    3. We are football fans and like to watch the playoffs.
    4. I spent at least 20 hours of good Sandbox working time to the Kenny B. Stopped issue. Not predictable.
    5. I lost a weekend to a long-standing volunteer activity.
    6. I have a significant issue in my personal life I’ve been dealing with the last week. Not predictable.
    7. The whole end of season data processing operation takes about 40 hours of work. With all of the above, finding an extra week of working time just isn’t feasible.
    8. As far as making money, we are no where close to breaking even.
    Lead Developer of Sandbox Simulations

Quote Originally Posted by cdcox View Post
    1. We can’t begin getting ready for simulation until after the regular season is over.
    2. We both have demanding jobs that usually take 50+ hours per week. Some weeks it is much more. Which weeks are going to be busy isn’t always predictable.
    4. I spent at least 20 hours of good Sandbox working time to the Kenny B. Stopped issue. Not predictable.
    6. I have a significant issue in my personal life I’ve been dealing with the last week. Not predictable.
    7. The whole end of season data processing operation takes about 40 hours of work. With all of the above, finding an extra week of working time just isn’t feasible.
    Thank you for what you can contribute

I <3 u
    I <3 u

I think we all appreciate the fact that this is a labor of love for you and it is not a business model that you will make money on. Putting some target dates out, even if the target is missed, is better than just flying blind. Like some others, I check everyday......but how many don't? I wish there was a way I could help you.

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    The issue with Trevor Penning is another example of why it is difficult to publish a reliable schedule. I sat down today with the intention of starting to gather the data for the player availability table (a manual process that requires a few hours). First I went to look at the Trevor Penning issue. I thought it would be a quick matter of changing a single value on a single record in the database. Turned out to be a duplicate instance of the same player, which took more than an hour to diagnose and will take at least another hour to fix the issue. As a result, the work on the player availability table will be delayed. These kinds of maintenance issues are a significant time sink, but a normal part of managing a software system of this size and complexity.

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    So there were a total four 2022 rookies with database errors. 4.5 hours later, I have found them all and fixed them. Zero progress on building the player availability table. This is an example why progress on getting the simulations ready is slower than planned. I still plan to start collecting the player availability data tonight.