Quote Originally Posted by UmmBerrto View Post
What I am asking is, I don't see why Mr. Cox needed to add a specific penalty?

Should not the DT automatically be slower?

Should not the DT automatically be a liability in pass coverage.

Let me see if I can step away from the assumption of arrogance, because I know men look at men in assuming ways.

Let's take basic Madden ratings.

Speed is speed, it doesn't matter the position, all the speeds of all the players are on the same 0-99 scale.

Clearly a CB a LB and a DT have different speed ratings automatically.

But a CB that is a 99 in speed, is a 99 wherever he plays.

A DT that is a 65 speed is a 65 speed whenever he plays.

Subsequently a CB may be a 45 in strength
While a DT may be a 99 in strength.

So I understand why they play different at different positions.

What I am asking Mr. Cox, is why is there a separate programed penalty?

That sounds like Mr. Cox has mandated that because a player is out of position he must be penalized extra....

I may be miss understanding what is being said.

Because, on the flip side.

If the SF 49ers decided to change Trent Williams's number and play him as a TE and run what would be a six man offensive line all season.

Yes, Trent would certainly be a liability as a receiver, compared to Kittle, however, If the 9rs use him as a blocker, would not the TE position he is playing instantly become the absolute best and most dominant pass and run blocking TE in the game?

What extra penalty is there to be assessed in this situation?

I am asking, do not the numbers play out on their own?
I think there's a few concept errors here. First this only seems to work on a rating system, which this isn't. It's based on player data from the previous year. There is no 98 speed rating or 75 catching, it's performance based.

I'd also like to point out that Madden does absolutely penalize players for being out of position. TE's will have a lower OVR in a WR position, LT's will have a lower OVR at TE, hell WR's OVR is even determined by the slot position. The pass block rating itself may not vary from T to TE but the grade drop/penalty is definitely there.

Some other things to consider are size grades. Your DT may be a beast at stuffing the run so maybe you want to pull him back to ILB. The problem with that is obviously his size and speed would be taken advantage of. Since there are no ratings to incorporate things like weight, height, build, athleticism, etc., they used a penalty percentage instead. It's not at all far-fetched to expect a DT to perform worse at LB or even DE. I could have an amazing receiving back but that doesn't mean he'd be great at WR. My RB may have graded well at receiving due to mismatches with LB's. If we were to use a rating scale instead, say my RB had 85 Catching, it would be based off his matchups with linebackers. If I were to put him out wide, odds are his performance grades would significantly dip. Similarly if I put LJ at RB, his rushing wouldn't be nearly as effective since teams wouldn't need to drop back to cover the pass. It's all pretty simple really.