Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Play

Game Play

Is there a reason why there are so many more odd things that happen in Sandbox than in the actual NFL? Things that happen once a season are happening once a week, penalties are over the top, turnovers look like a madden sim, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood View Post
    Is there a reason why there are so many more odd things that happen in Sandbox than in the actual NFL? Things that happen once a season are happening once a week, penalties are over the top, turnovers look like a madden sim, etc.

I was wondering myself, I'm sure the algorithms line up with the percentages.

Yet, it does seem like an episode of a Playmakers, where the writers try to get everything that "might happen" into every episode.

Yet the games I've played out so far are still unique in different ways.

I took over a team with Lamar Jackson and no O-Line a couple of weeks ago.

Because of that, and Deandre Hopkins tough year in AZ last year, D-Hop usually drops half the passes that are thrown to him in most every game.

As a result of that I basically set Lamar to run 40% of the time.

Even that is no great thing. he might run 20 for 200yds and 3TD or 20 for 78yds and 3 Turnovers, either of which will probably end in a loss.

Bottom line is I guess it's like every GM, we put a team together that we believe should play and perform very well, 30+ GM's in the NFL probable feel that way every year.

However, most won't even compete for their division at the end of the year, and only one will be truly happy with the final outcome.

The thing that happens to me way to much AND it seems like every game...sometimes a few times a game...I have corner back who is OFFSIDES. Thats extremely frustrating. However, this is simulation and you have to expect some weird stuff to go down. This is my 1st year in this league and I am excited to see the realism improve season to season...
    Mr. Timothy Connolly
    connolly318@icloud.com

Quote Originally Posted by UmmBerrto View Post

Bottom line is I guess it's like every GM, we put a team together that we believe should play and perform very well, 30+ GM's in the NFL probable feel that way every year.

However, most won't even compete for their division at the end of the year, and only one will be truly happy with the final outcome.
    Too true. Everyone is running extra laps this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood View Post
    Too true. Everyone is running extra laps this week.

I would guess that may very well point to the inherited problem in the algorithm....

Why every game?

Do teams not work to fix problems week to week?

Address issues and make improvements?

Or even get worse because the players rebel against the coaches?

Facts are, the absolute best coaching staffs use the Regular season to get prepared for the playoffs, work on flaws and improve performance, and most of the good ones have a number of game plan contingencies for second half adjustments as needed.

But if the algorithm doesn't allow for improvement, then Lamar And D-Hop will continue to play this season for me like two Street Free Agents who won't be on the team next year, even though I am sure they both went in the first three rounds when originally drafted.

And your DB will continue to line up Offsides like it's never happened before, as if his Position Coach has never delt with the issue in any practice after any game where it has happened, even though it has happened in every game...

But in the real world, their are more first round picks that flame out of the NFL and do not receive a second contract with their original team, then first round picks that do get that second contract and become the fulfillment of the great hope of the organization.

So, yeah, we could blame the algorithm, or recognize that in this alternative reality, players don't appear to learn from their mistakes or improve on their circumstances until after the season is complete. If there is ever any improvement at all, from year to year, quite possibly, they may even get worse.

I guess the moral of the story is, that this is not your father's Oldsmobile.

But it may just be his Pontiac, My only guess is that it is either not so easy, or was not considered that the algorithm must spread its percentages over each game while also at the same time spreading its percentages across a season.

Then again, maybe the algorithm does exactly that, and we are just not happy with the outcome of a phenomenal algorithm.

"Inventors and their Inventions need time to see the greatness to its end of their capabilities".

~ Author Unknown ~
    Last edited by UmmBerrto; 05-09-2022 at 03:30 PM.

Its not a given your team will be coached up and get better! What if you suck as a coach? Change your calls to adjust to your strong parts and the weak parts of your opponents. i try every week to take away what my opponent likes to do! If they have a star he will go off. That does not mean he will shut you down. The NFL today is Offense driven . You need only make a couple of stope to win as long s you can score !

The "street free agents" do WAY too well.......there is no incentive for fixing your lineups to replace weekly injured players. SFA should NOT be returning kicks for 88 yard TD's, nor punts for TDs, nor making INT's, nor third in the league for rushing, nor having a QB rating of 147.3. This has to be fixed!

Yes. I agree regarding street free agents. There are way to many FREE AGENTS in the top of leaderboards. How do you not resign a street Free agent that has 5 interceptions?
    Mr. Timothy Connolly
    connolly318@icloud.com

Quote Originally Posted by tcavity4566 View Post
    Yes. I agree regarding street free agents. There are way to many FREE AGENTS in the top of leaderboards. How do you not resign a street Free agent that has 5 interceptions?
    That is a good point.

Perhaps a street free agent should be signable and nameable.

Yet, I feel like back in the day there were some guys that would pop up and have great games or even great parts to a season and either catch on or disappear.

Even today, its not unheard of for a guy to pop up with 100+ Rushing or Receiving in some random game or stretch of only to fall right back off.

Or a Taylor Heineke to pop up from grad school and win a playoff game.

After all Kurt Warner was Bagging Groceries.

And the Cowboys are always finding these ex con dope head types that make a good run for a year or three on the defensive side of the ball.

Alex Smith was on the scrap heap in SF until Jim showed up, put in the RPO and Alex had like four or five great games before the league could adjust, and then Alex hit the bench and was traded to KC where Andy made a really good QB out of him.

After all there are always a few great sixth round picks that make noise before anyone knows who they are.

As for a Street Free Agent DB with 5 INT's, He is going to get thrown at, He might grab a few picks because he is out of position, before there is enough film on him to expose why he wasn't on anybody's opening day roster.
    Last edited by UmmBerrto; 05-19-2022 at 04:21 PM.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tcavity4566 View Post
    One thing that I'll note is that all street free agents for a team are lumped together on the stats. So if a team starts an entire defensive backfield of free agents, then the stats will look like one free agent has 5 interceptions when that's not the case. The same is true for other positions like WR and TE. So the free agents may not be as good as they look on the stats sheet because they're reported en masse.