Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penalities and Defensive Schemes..

Penalities and Defensive Schemes..

Just wondering how penalties are simulated? My Cornerback was given a neutral zone penalty. I have coached football for almost 20 years and have watched it my entire life. I dont ever remember seeing one of those called on a cornerback. The penalty also made me realize that we must be playing press coverage. Nevertheless, my team is towards the top in penalty yardage and that is so very frustrating. I have really loved my expierence so far just trying to get a handle on how to prepare.
    Mr. Timothy Connolly
    connolly318@icloud.com

Yeah not sure how its figured. I have what i think is solid rosters on both teams yet my Os suck. I mean my Olines arent the greatest by any means, but i have

Kyler Murray, Stefon Diggs, AJ Brown, Hollywood Brown, Mark Andrews, Aaron Jones, Josh Jacobs, and theyre crap

Joe Burrow, Darren Waller, Deebo, Allen Robinson, Hunter Renfrow, and Joe Mixon. Also crap lmao

And not half bad backups either. Shouldnt need all pro Olines for these rosters to make something happen. Dont get it

I feel you coach...That is a great roster on paper...

Kinda of the subject but I think it would be nice if the players were given a rating. An overall rating and then position spefic trait ratings....

such as...

OL.... Run Blocking, Pass Blocking,
    DL.... Pass Rush, Tackling
    DB.... Speed, Agility, Zone coverage, Man...

RB.... Agility , Speed, Break Tackles...

I believe this would help with the overall game play.
    Mr. Timothy Connolly
    connolly318@icloud.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dbillblood View Post
    Yeah not sure how its figured. I have what i think is solid rosters on both teams yet my Os suck. I mean my Olines arent the greatest by any means, but i have

Kyler Murray, Stefon Diggs, AJ Brown, Hollywood Brown, Mark Andrews, Aaron Jones, Josh Jacobs, and theyre crap

Joe Burrow, Darren Waller, Deebo, Allen Robinson, Hunter Renfrow, and Joe Mixon. Also crap lmao

And not half bad backups either. Shouldnt need all pro Olines for these rosters to make something happen. Dont get it
    Maybe it's your gameplan? At least you're 4-0 with Kyler Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by tcavity4566 View Post

Kinda of the subject but I think it would be nice if the players were given a rating. An overall rating and then position specific trait ratings.
    I feel like ratings take away from the point. I think you're supposed to be able to decipher these things as a coach/gm. Adding ratings would make it feel like Madden

I agree King, but how do you rate Offensive Linemen? What stats are you using? and in the game, how do you tell if your offensive linemen are doing well or not? Nothing in the Play by Play or Box Score can single out if your lineman is doing well or getting beat on every snap.

Yeah that's the downside of it. We're working with a lot less since we don't have detailed defensive stats. Sacks should tell you where the pressure is coming from but that's only if you know where they lined up. They mentioned they'll have more details on the next version they roll out but that's going to take a minute.

I can't decipher inviduals but a team where my OL is weak, the running backs (esp. the starter) only plods for 3.2 yards a carry after four games, and the team gives up a number of sacks compared to my other team. Lots of stuff goes into it but when the base is weak, the team is weak and it happens every week.

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark71 View Post
    I can't decipher inviduals but a team where my OL is weak, the running backs (esp. the starter) only plods for 3.2 yards a carry after four games, and the team gives up a number of sacks compared to my other team. Lots of stuff goes into it but when the base is weak, the team is weak and it happens every week.
    Yeah, I had a team last year that lost all of its starting and backup tackles for about 3-4 week period and it was gruesome. I recommend that no one else ever do this.

King of the World
    Blog Entries
    Penalty rates are based on NFL stats. Defensive backs aren't offside very often, but it happens.

We will never have ratings for players for a couple of reasons. 1) A player's performance is represented by complex formulas with many parameters. For example, for running backs there are like 20 parameters that define their performance. There isn't an easy way to boil it down to a single rating. 2) Player selection is mostly done before the NFL season finishes. I don't calculate the performance parameters until after the season in over. 3) The game is intended to test your actual ability to build an NFL team based on your knowledge of players and ability to predict how a player will perform into the future, similar to how an NFL GM would have to project these things.

The valid point is that for some positions, it is really hard to know how your players are contributing to success or failure. As mentioned we want to provide more of that information on the next re-write of the simulator, to be completed at a time to be determined.
    Lead Developer of Sandbox Simulations