PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart Option

Chilly
02-01-2022, 06:10 PM
Would it be possible to add a "Depth Chart" function to the available team options? Not a lineup that affects the simulation, but a Depth Chart so we can more easily see the order of talent (or what we see as who is #1 for a position etc.). I know the website is a fairly new design and is being updated as bugs are worked through, but it is difficult to navigate, especially when it comes to recognizing what your team needs which hurts the ability to plan drafting and free agency. Something as easy as categories for Offense and Defense with the ability to select positions (QB, HB, FB, WR, TE, C, G, RG, LG, T, RT, LT & DT, NT, DE3, DE4, LB, MLB, ILB, OLB, CB, S, FS, SS) and the ability to assign players to #1 down to whatever depth you have and possibly another category of Special Teamers (K, P, KR, PR) and Reserves (probably the list of guys you are going to cut and won't be on the depth chart) would be extremely helpful in quickly determining where you need to focus for your team and quickly evaluate where a potential draft pick or free agent would fit into your team (thus helping determine that player's value for you). It is very difficult for me to see my roster when positions are in alphabetical order instead of a mix of similar positions and you have to go to another page to look at statistics to determine their abilities and where they fit in your plan/scheme and when you return to the roster screen once you leave to view those statistics, you have to reset your filters because the page doesn't return to where you left. Especially when lineup screens are not also available. I think having a depth chart that does not affect simulations and is only a tool for research would be invaluable (at least for me). I can probably write an excel spreadsheet to do it for me, but it would be great to have the option at hand from my team screen.

I do not know how difficult it would be to add this option...like I said, if its not possible I will build my own, but it would be nice to have it all accessible from my team page.

Thank you,

Chilly

Kai
02-02-2022, 05:36 AM
I believe once our season actually starts, a depth chart like option becomes available. On the Users Manuel there is a section titled ' Depth Charts-How They Work '

smackawits
02-02-2022, 03:28 PM
Perhaps the depth chart option can be made available during the FA stage?

Chilly
02-02-2022, 04:15 PM
Kai...I think that is the "starting lineup" which allows you to put the "depth chart" for your simulation week. That will work, when its available, but I was looking for something that did not affect gameplay, just allowed movement between #1 and to whatever depth you had for that position so you can quickly determine who your best player is at that position. It could be done as easily as adding another filter line to the "Manage Roster" area if we are allowed to assign players to depth positions. For example, if I had Nick Chubb and Rashaad Penny as my halfbacks and I believe Chubb to be my #1 and Penny to be my #2, if I can assign HB1 to Chubb and HB2 to Penny, I could sort my HB's to show depth from my roster. Now when I look at halfbacks in free agency or for a trade, I can more easily predict where I think a free agent or other team's player would fit on my depth chart and thus determine his value to my team. Its just a tool, but one I would find valuable.

I agree smackawits...opening up the lineups during the offseason would be a quick workaround.

Chilly
02-02-2022, 04:26 PM
And no matter what...can we find a way to allow the current manage roster filters to group all similar positions? First by offense and defense and second by position types. For example, if I want to figure out how to organize my LB's, I have to move through the entire roster and check; LB, OLB, ILB, MLB. None of these groups sort together alphabetically so its difficult to evaluate the group. If LB's would sort to "defense" and then have the ability to sort all "LB" positions in one group, it would be an much easier way to work with the team. Same for OL, DL and secondary. If you could sort OL, one way would be to give an OL tags...for example, if you have RG Smith. He would tag as "Offense", "Offensive Line", "Guard" and "Right Guard". Now I have a tool that can assist determining my depth chart from broad categories to specific based on the player's position.

tcavity4566
02-07-2022, 04:18 PM
If anyone wants a decent Depth chart I created through Google Sheets...Leave your email and I can share it with you.....

Kevin
02-08-2022, 06:05 PM
We'll put an offseason depth chart on the list for consideration. Maybe even just an informal one - I don't know if the system as it stands would allow players not currently under contract to be added. But I don't know the programming aspect of it.

Dbillblood
02-08-2022, 07:22 PM
For me its more im not certain what positions can play where. Like i dont know if anything but a C can be added at C. Or if a C can be added at G. Just be nice to be clear on it when trying to add depth and cant find decent players for a certain position

Kai
02-08-2022, 08:18 PM
This is word for word from the user manual.

"The other limitation is on playing players out of their natural position. When you select a position for your depth chart, you will be given a popup list of every player who is eligible for that position. It's generally limited to players who could possibly outperform a street free agent at the position. However, that's not a guarantee. The bottom line is that you can't put every player on your roster in every position. It has to be a situation that could possibly make sense. There will be no quarterbacks at nose tackle, for example, even if it's that 300-pound quarterback that the Giants had a few years back.

When you select a spot on your depth chart and the popup list appears, you'll probably notice that some names are "grayed out" and not possible to select. This is because they are already selected on the depth chart at another position. If you really need Sammy Baugh at quarterback and he's grayed out, take him off the depth chart at punter or defensive back. We don't allow two-way players in this league.

So what if you don't have enough players to fill the depth chart? Either you don't have that third tight end on the roster, or you have injuries, or you just don't have the right talent set? There's a simple answer for that, and you don't have to worry about having only 10 men on the field. Holes are automatically filled by "street free agents".

The software will automatically identify your top kicker, punter, kick returner, and punt returner, so you don't need to worry about those positions."

Seems like you can put a player anywhere you want but they won't play as well out of position. Cant have a player backing up a position that is already starting in another position, and can't have a player playing both sides of the field.

Most questions that I see on here are usually answerable on the users manual page. Id suggest starting there next time you have Q.

Tannhauser
02-08-2022, 11:06 PM
even if it's that 300-pound quarterback that the Giants had a few years back.

Jarred Lorenzen, The Pillsbury Throw Boy. R.I.P. Jarred, you were too delicate for this world.

TheeMasterBolt
02-09-2022, 03:01 AM
I feel like the manage roster screen should really just be a depth chart screen. It would really improve the visual. I have so many notebooks full of hand written depth charts haha. I’ve got pages and pages full. There’s X’s and O’s. Definitely a good development idea because it can be very tiresome during free agency and the draft.

Dbillblood
02-10-2022, 03:39 PM
well know crap. But without access to the depth chart you cant see whos greyed out or not. Cant see if G can play C, T play C, G play T. So what does that vague description help?

CincyDan
02-16-2022, 06:02 AM
I created my own depth chart in Excel, one worksheet for offense and one worksheet for defense/special teams, and that's worked good for me so far. On each worksheet I also list next to each player which particular weeks they missed due to injury, to ensure I have coverage.