PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Draft...set bots to auto select?

smackawits
09-06-2023, 02:27 PM
Is it possible to set the bot teams to auto-select to speed up the draft? In Bills-1 it would cut the time down dramatically.

mdboucher
09-06-2023, 04:23 PM
Please, this would be a big improvement

pit1232
09-06-2023, 10:49 PM
Is it possible to set the bot teams to auto-select to speed up the draft? In Bills-1 it would cut the time down dramatically.

could you do that in all of the drafts that are going to happen this weekend and thank you

cdcox
09-07-2023, 01:51 AM
That isn't how auto-pick works.

Consider a live human player who has 10 players on their draft board and thinks that is enough to cover their pick, sets the auto pick on, and goes on with their life. But, all the players on their draft board get picked before their pick comes up. I had two choices in the programming: choice 1 was to program it to immediately go to autopick and the owner getting stuck with a player they may not want; choice 2 was to program it to give the owner the full hour to make their pick after getting an email notifying them that they were on the clock. I went with choice 2. So making only bots immediately pick would require a significant change to the code that I don't have time to do in the next two days.

I've always found 1 hour between picks to be about right. That equates to 1 or 2 picks per day, which is about the right pace for me managing two teams. That equates to a couple of hours of work per night.

If any league wants to move to a shorter draft clock, start a thread titled "short draft clock for XXXX1". If every member in the league (ignore bots) posts in the thread approving a 30 min or 15 min draft clock, I will make the change. Chiefs1 and Raiders1 will stay on a 1 hour draft clock, because those are the leagues I play in.

smackawits
09-07-2023, 12:16 PM

Consider a live human player who has 10 players on their draft board and thinks that is enough to cover their pick, sets the auto pick on, and goes on with their life. But, all the players on their draft board get picked before their pick comes up. I had two choices in the programming: choice 1 was to program it to immediately go to autopick and the owner getting stuck with a player they may not want; choice 2 was to program it to give the owner the full hour to make their pick after getting an email notifying them that they were on the clock. I went with choice 2. So making only bots immediately pick would require a significant change to the code that I don't have time to do in the next two days.

I've always found 1 hour between picks to be about right. That equates to 1 or 2 picks per day, which is about the right pace for me managing two teams. That equates to a couple of hours of work per night.

If any league wants to move to a shorter draft clock, start a thread titled "short draft clock for XXXX1". If every member in the league (ignore bots) posts in the thread approving a 30 min or 15 min draft clock, I will make the change. Chiefs1 and Raiders1 will stay on a 1 hour draft clock, because those are the leagues I play in.

You should not have to do extra work to accomodate different leagues.......if, in the future, you can auto pick bot teams (who pick the next player drafted in the real draft irregardless of needs), that would be a tremendous help (I believe) in keeping owners in the game. The goal for any programming you do in the future should be for this one goal IMO. You have a good game, you just lost a chunk of people with the terrible off-season and pre-season we all just experienced. Now we need to keep what we have and grow the number of players.

eaglesphan79
09-07-2023, 01:33 PM
Wouldn’t it be worth delaying rookie drafts a week or two to accommodate this change? A lot of leagues have like 12, 15, etc bit teams in their league. A change like this (forcing bot teams to auto pick immediately) would have a significant impact on the user experience of the draft.

UmmBerrto
09-07-2023, 03:21 PM

It's a good rhythm, one or maybe two picks a day, however, if I may suggest...

In the Manual and in the Videos you created, you give new users an expectation that the draft will be quick and penalties will be litigated for those who are not, specifically that they will be put on an AutoDraft.

Your video creates this expectation.

This false expectation has lead many people to a place where the draft experience is less than stellar.

My suggestion, would be to remove the video and the portions of the manual that tells people there will be a quick draft and add a more appropriate rewrite to the manual and re-edited video, that can deliver the correct expectation.

That way, new users are not lead to the same unappreciative state that the current and previous users have fallen prey too concerning the expediency of the drafting process.

We understand, via experience, that the draft will take a day per round.

Your video, gave us a different expectation, and as such, inspired an attitude of negativity surrounding the current experience.

Re-edit the video, rewrite that portion of the Manual and the new users will have a greater appreciation for the current product, and over time, the complaints will dissipate.

Until then, each new user who sees the video and reads the manual will come into the game with the same expectations and frustrations from the same undelivered promises to quickly and automatically draft for the owners that don't draft in time.

In other words, you created the expectation, but didn't fullfil it, edit the video before the new users are exposed and over time, well, I think you get the picture.

"Just my opinion, I could be wrong."
{Dennis Miller}

pit1232
09-07-2023, 04:35 PM
It's a good rhythm, one or maybe two picks a day, however, if I may suggest...

In the Manual and in the Videos you created, you give new users an expectation that the draft will be quick and penalties will be litigated for those who are not, specifically that they will be put on an AutoDraft.

Your video creates this expectation.

This false expectation has lead many people to a place where the draft experience is less than stellar.

My suggestion, would be to remove the video and the portions of the manual that tells people there will be a quick draft and add a more appropriate rewrite to the manual and re-edited video, that can deliver the correct expectation.

That way, new users are not lead to the same unappreciative state that the current and previous users have fallen prey too concerning the expediency of the drafting process.

We understand, via experience, that the draft will take a day per round.

Your video, gave us a different expectation, and as such, inspired an attitude of negativity surrounding the current experience.

Re-edit the video, rewrite that portion of the Manual and the new users will have a greater appreciation for the current product, and over time, the complaints will dissipate.

Until then, each new user who sees the video and reads the manual will come into the game with the same expectations and frustrations from the same undelivered promises to quickly and automatically draft for the owners that don't draft in time.

In other words, you created the expectation, but didn't fullfil it, edit the video before the new users are exposed and over time, well, I think you get the picture.

"Just my opinion, I could be wrong."
{Dennis Miller}

I think you hit it on the head. I like to see a change in the way the draft is run. But it is the way it is.

Wind From West
09-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Yall just can't figure it out.

Its writing extra code for your dreams. This is just a side gig for cocks who isn't making any money but dealing with everyone who thinks they can do it better, lol.

UmmBerrto
09-08-2023, 10:46 PM
Yall just can't figure it out.

Its writing extra code for your dreams. This is just a side gig for cocks who isn't making any money but dealing with everyone who thinks they can do it better, lol.

Are you talking to me?

Chilly
09-09-2023, 05:09 PM
Draft started 5 minutes ago. I'm in 3 leagues and set a draft board for each team. However, looking at each of my leagues, it appears my most active league will still be about 8-10 hours before a human pick "could" happen (first 8 picks are all bots in my most active league...in my least active league, it will be more like 10-12 hours before a human pick could happen). I understand why auto-draft is set up the way it is, however, couldn't someone with access to the entire league just go in to ownerless teams in each league and lock the draft board with no players on it? Then the program AI would select the best available player and move on immediately versus waiting to do that in an hour. It's work for CD to manually lock the boards in each of the leagues, but it would solve the problem and reduce draft time by several days.

Kingswood
09-09-2023, 05:15 PM
Draft started 5 minutes ago. I'm in 3 leagues and set a draft board for each team. However, looking at each of my leagues, it appears my most active league will still be about 8-10 hours before a human pick "could" happen (first 8 picks are all bots in my most active league...in my least active league, it will be more like 10-12 hours before a human pick could happen). I understand why auto-draft is set up the way it is, however, couldn't someone with access to the entire league just go in to ownerless teams in each league and lock the draft board with no players on it? Then the program AI would select the best available player and move on immediately versus waiting to do that in an hour. It's work for CD to manually lock the boards in each of the leagues, but it would solve the problem and reduce draft time by several days.

Theoretically anyone not in the league could pick up a team, set to auto draft, then drop it right? Then you could essentially just lather rinse repeat throughout the leagues for all the bots?

Chilly
09-09-2023, 05:45 PM
I think you are technically correct Kingswood. But can you take another team in your league to hit the draft board lock?

Kingswood
09-09-2023, 05:48 PM
No, you can't own multiple teams at once, and once you abandon a team there is a 10 day delay before you can pick that same team back up if I'm not mistaken.

That would mean that you'd be abandoning your team for the draft. I'm also not sure that once a team was abandoned that the auto-pick wouldn't revert back to 'factory settings'.

Phog
09-09-2023, 06:08 PM
What a coincidence, in both Chiefs1 and raiders1, Bryce Young was selected after the 1 hour limit had expired. ;-)

UmmBerrto
09-09-2023, 06:16 PM
What a coincidence, in both Chiefs1 and raiders1, Bryce Young was selected after the 1 hour limit had expired. ;-)

It says that you joined in 2019.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to whine about the obvious.

Clearly you have been around long enough to know what to expect.

How about we just appreciate the game for what it is?

Phog
09-09-2023, 06:19 PM

Yeah, how long you been around? That's what I thought. And there's a winking guy behind the comment that denotes, um, you know, I was kidding? Now go back to your regularly scheduled program. Thanks!

Phog
09-09-2023, 06:20 PM
No wonder people didn't want you in this league, let alone this whole game.

UmmBerrto
09-09-2023, 06:30 PM

Yeah, I came in here and complained a lot.

I argued and I made my opinions known.

Then I realized, why complain about something that has been decided already?

Why train the newcomers to dislike the current product?

One of the reasons I complained as much as I did was because of the frustrated masses that were already here complaining.

I followed the negativity because I had a bunch of other negative stuff in my life.

I cleared some of the negative from my life, at the time, that included this game.

I have returned to enjoy the game for what it is.

Are you one of the members that will continue to complain about the basic realities of this game?

Or are you one of the members who can enjoy this game and help the newcomers gain a positive opinion and approach?

Your tongue in cheek wink isn't helping anyone appreciate the game or the process.

Mr. 2019. Please, help the new guys stay appreciative.

Phog
09-09-2023, 06:39 PM
Get lost, mkay?

Wind From West
09-09-2023, 07:38 PM
Are you talking to me?

Seriously, lol. NO.

Wind From West
09-09-2023, 07:41 PM

I swear it has to be Hootie.

Wind From West
09-09-2023, 07:55 PM

I left this sim after kingswood pulled out. Come back and he owns half the league, lol.

But yet youre still typing your dumb**** opinions and attacking managers? But, but, but youre active they say. F that.

This is why dogs are better than humans.

Urrabumterd, youre that. A piece of ****.