PDA

View Full Version : Off-season Order Recommendation

TheeMasterBolt
08-14-2022, 08:57 PM
I’d recommend having Free agency occur first followed by the draft similar to how the actual NFL schedule works, then the draft, followed by the limited free agency period. Maybe have rosters increase to 65 for free agency, 75 for the draft, 80 for final free agency. Just a thought

Kingswood
08-15-2022, 12:37 AM
I’d recommend having Free agency occur first followed by the draft similar to how the actual NFL schedule works, then the draft, followed by the limited free agency period. Maybe have rosters increase to 65 for free agency, 75 for the draft, 80 for final free agency. Just a thought

I second this. FA will alter draft strategies.

cdcox
08-15-2022, 03:02 AM
We appreciate the input.

As we were conceiving of the game, Kevin and I were worried about long periods of inactivity where there wasn't much to do, causing people to lose interest. This period would coincide with the NFL season. So we decided to put free agency during the NFL season to keep people involved with Sandbox during those months. Both of us are kind of excited about the format of free agency, where the players will be rolled out slowly over the course of the NFL season. It adds a bit of a wild card to the strategy as you have to weigh the risk of passing on a player available early in hopes of getting perhaps a better player later on. Also, if one of your stars gets injured in the NFL, in-season free agency give some hope of signing a replacement. We also want to complete the rookie draft before the NFL season starts, so as to really test people's ability to manage an NFL team, so by doing free agency first, it would delay the start of the rookie draft.

We are going to roll with our current plans this year. If it doesn't work well, we will look into tweaking things next year.

smackawits
08-15-2022, 02:19 PM
I don't agree with (but I understand your thinking of involvement) rolling out free agency with only a few teams at a time. I think all should be made available at the same time. There is still strategy to be had as the real NFL season progresses. Rolling out a couple teams at a time simply makes free agency a crapshoot.

UmmBerrto
08-15-2022, 06:25 PM
We appreciate the input.

As we were conceiving of the game, Kevin and I were worried about long periods of inactivity where there wasn't much to do, causing people to lose interest. This period would coincide with the NFL season. So we decided to put free agency during the NFL season to keep people involved with Sandbox during those months. Both of us are kind of excited about the format of free agency, where the players will be rolled out slowly over the course of the NFL season. It adds a bit of a wild card to the strategy as you have to weigh the risk of passing on a player available early in hopes of getting perhaps a better player later on. Also, if one of your stars gets injured in the NFL, in-season free agency give some hope of signing a replacement. We also want to complete the rookie draft before the NFL season starts, so as to really test people's ability to manage an NFL team, so by doing free agency first, it would delay the start of the rookie draft.

We are going to roll with our current plans this year. If it doesn't work well, we will look into tweaking things next year.

Just asking for a friend.
Will we be able to see the list of all free agents that will eventually be available during the entire free agency period?

tophardtjr
08-15-2022, 07:02 PM
I completely agree, i do not like this at all.

UmmBerrto
08-15-2022, 07:20 PM

Just for the record, I think that it has potential.

Wind From West
08-15-2022, 09:56 PM

I agree.

I now have to build a draft for fantasy & Sandbox at the same time. The timing sucks.
I thought the purpose of this league was to keep us busy during the offseason?